Thursday, February 21, 2013

Diy Shabby Chic Rosette Lamp Shade


Do you all remember [THIS] beautiful little shabby chic rosette lamp shade from my daughter's nursery?
Well, for the past year I have been dying to make one for our living room & finally got around to doing it! After going back to look at my last DIY tutorial on this lamp shade (that was tremendously popular), I realized that a few little details were missing... so here is a NEW full tutorial with step by step instructions


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 to 5 yards of Fabric: Gauze Fabric or Muslin works best
(depending on the size of your shade)
- Plain White Lamp Shade 
(mine is a drum shade from the Target RE collection)
- Hot Glue Sticks & Glue Gun
- Scissors


STEP #1:
Roll out your fabric measuring 2.5 to 3 yards in length (for a medium size shade)


 STEP #2:
Make small cuts in your fabric (lengthwise) approx. 1 inch apart


STEP #3 & #4:
Seperate and start to tear your fabric by holding the larger portion of the fabric with your left hand and ripping the strip with your right hand. When you cut fabric lengthwise, it naturally tears into a straight line since it is going with the seams/ thread.


STEP #5:
Tear all of the fabric into strips until you end up with a large pile like this


STEP #6:
Take an individual strip of fabric and ball up one end of the fabric by pinching the fabric in between your thumb and index finger, then wrap the strip of fabric around it. You will start to get a small rosette look as you keep pinching the fabric and twisting it around itself (like a cinnamon bun). Once you have the start to your rosette, make a small dab of hot glue and place the fabric over it.


STEP #7:


 After you have twisted the beginning of your strip of fabric, place it on a table, with your hands on either end of the strip. With your left finger, hold the end of the left side of the strip down. With your right hand, wrap the remainder of the strip of fabric around the center starting point (while keeping it twisted). This should create a cinnamon bun effect. To hold the flower securely together, place dots of glue using a hot glue gun every so often while assembling it together. 

TIP: To create various sizes of roses, take your torn strips and cut them to different lengths.



STEP #8:
Keep twisting the fabric, you will use the whole length of the fabric strip.
Your rosette will end up looking like this. Once you come to the end of the fabric, glue the excess amount onto the back of the rose, holding it all together & giving it a more finished look


STEP #9:
Make A LOT of rosettes! You will end up needing approx 50 to cover a medium size shade.
Then, start hot gluing them into your shade. Tip: use a lot of hot glue!


I am not going to lie, this project is VERY TIME CONSUMING!
One lamp shade of this size takes approx. 5 straight hours to finish & if you happen to have little ones running all over the house... well, I would prepare yourself to spend a few days on this project!


But once it is finished, it is SO worth all of the work that went into it!
Happy crafting!


LINKING UP WITH:

Liz Marie Blog
Mod Vintage Life

29 comments:

  1. I've loved these lamp shades since I saw the pink one in your daughters nursery post! Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the original post the day before you took it down. I freaked out for a little bit, because even though I remembered the basic steps, I couldn't remember all of it. You have no idea how happy I am to see this with even more in-depth directions! I have some fabric on its way over here, so I can make one for my soon-to-be daughter's nursery! Love it so much—thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial!!! Can I ask where you purchased your pleaty/gauze-like fabric?
    I'll be working on this on my next 3-day weekend off of work and I have the perfect lamp base for it. This is so incredibly gorgeous and I'm excited to make one of my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! There's nothing better than a unique lampshade. Now...where will I put this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sorta have a "thing" for lampshades and this one is fabulous! Thank you for sharing your great talent. Patti@OldThingsNew

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! It is so cute and go so well with just about any decor! I blog over at http://www.2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ Every Friday I feature a fellow crafter. I would love to feature you and this project in an upcoming Friday. If you are interested please let me know toocraftyformyskirt@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lamp is crazy beautiful! Next time I go to IKEA I need to buy some spare lampshades. I saw a similar one the other day in one of the lighting stores and thought it would be a great idea for diy :) great job Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured this today at Mod Mix Monday! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting the instructions! I LOVE the pink one in your daughters nursery, I couldn't find the instructions to go with it. I can't wait to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for this wonderful tutorial. I really have 2 left hands when it comes to diy's. And i'm currently working on this one and it's turning out amazing, everyone loves it. (I gave them you're link ;)) So thank you very much for sharing this with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is awesome! I love the idea. Thanks so much for sharing this. Will definitely try soon.

    -FenchelShades.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this shade! I have been wanting to make one and didn't want to invest the time. I think you may have convinced me to just do it! :)
    Kely

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is very nice collection for home improvement about Shabby Chic fabric.Thanks for shearing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial, was looking for something new with a lampshade.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing all these fantastic ideas on how to make a beautiful custom lampshade. I am actually planning to do some variations with my old lampshade and this post could help me so much in making it more beautiful. I love to use pastel-colored fabric for a cool effect. Learn about OnlyCubes Water Proof Light Cube

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's nice design ideas for home decorations.Shabby Chic fabric is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's nice blog for Home interior Designs.Shabby Chic fabric is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely LOVE this!! Where did you get the lamp base from, too?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This article is so good for interior decoration.Shabby Chic fabric is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely love this! I've been tearing fabric while watching tv-series two evenings in a row now, and today I started twirling :) You mentioned it was time consuming, but you forgot to mention all the times you'll burn yourself on the glue :P Anyways: thanks for the tutorial, as I said I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a big thanks to you! It sounds great not only I liked this, but also everybody will appreciate you on your nice efforts. real estate fort pierce fl

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE THIS! By any chance do you have an idea of how much this cost you?

    ReplyDelete
  25. April, I followed this diy tutorial and I made this with less than $50. You can see more by clicking here

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is it possible to use any other fabric to make the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just so pretty! I plan to try making one in ecru muslim to go in the guest bedroom tht has a beach thing going. Can hardly wait to get going on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is pretty and elegant. I am sure The Fabric Exchange has so many choices of fabric for this kind of project.

    ReplyDelete