Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Number 5



The number 5 holds such great meaning…


It may not mean much to many but for me, it is very close to my heart. I never understood it’s meaning until after my Mother’s passing. You see, the number 5 was always my Mother’s favorite number. Yes, it may seem ridiculous to have a favorite number, and how it came to be her favorite; The significance of the number 5: It is the day that my Mother met my Father. June 5th, 1985 to be exact. It is the day that they Married, July 5th, 1986. I was the day that we moved into our first new home as a family, November 5th, 1991 & where my parents raised us for 22 years. And it was the day that my daughter was brought into this world, January 5th, 2012.

After my Mother’s passing on September 17th, 2011 (while I was 7 months pregnant) I felt lost, I felt cheated, unable to know how to cope with the loss of a Mother as I became one for the first time. I needed her guidance, I needed her support, I needed the one woman who brought me into this world. The next months after her passing were full of waiting, and adjusting to life without a Mother. My Due date of December 28th came and went. After being a week overdue, I was induced on January 3rd. It wasn’t until 28 hours of labor later that at 2:23am on January 5th, my beautiful Daughter was born. 

I remember being in labor, exhausted, ready to give up, after slowly dilating, having two epidurals (after the first one didn't take), I was on the verge of a breakdown, not knowing how to muster up any more strength. I looked around the room, nurses, my husband, my father, but where was my Mother? For years I visioned what this moment in my life would be like. How I always wanted my Mother by my side, coaching me and hearing her grandchild’s very first cry. My dream was taken away from me 3 months earlier. I remember breaking down in tears. At the point of being exhausted and almost giving up the nurse said it was time to push, I look up at the clock, then realize that it is January 5th. The number 5. I felt like the week of being overdue, the waiting, the grueling hours of labor, the ups and downs, it all was meant to bring me to here. It may sound completely crazy to sceptics, and well… maybe I AM crazy, but as I began to push I knew that my Mother was right there with me. The number 5 meant something, it was her way of showing that she wanted her legacy to carry on...

Today, as I look at my beautiful Daughter, I am so blessed. And for years to come as we celebrate her Birthday I will have the comfort of knowing my Mother is right there with us.

4 comments:

  1. You are not crazy! This is such a beautiful little glimpse into your heart. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful & touching story. I truly believe that God sends us these moments exactly when we need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog via Pinterest, and I'm so glad I did. What a special and beautiful story. Btw - my birthday is also on January 5th, so happy belated to your beautiful baby girl! :)

    ReplyDelete